Wednesday, November 11, 2009

“Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue”

(This article was written in October 2005 but it seemed appropriate to post is again today.)

As we approach VETERNS DAY this year it has a special significance for me. This year I will not be able to thank my dad for his service to our country in WW II. But that sacrifice will never be forgotten.

They say the first rule of war is that young men and women die. The second rule of war is that surgeons cannot change the first rule. In the current war being waged in Iraq we have now seen two thousand of our troops pay the last full measure. Many others have been injured and the whole thing breaks my heart. To quote another article I recently read, “I think the third rule of war should be that those who have given their all for freedom are never forgotten, and that they are always honored.” I couldn’t agree more!

I wish there was not war and I wish our young people did not have to fight and die. But you and I cannot wish away evil men. Let me take this opportunity to remind you that there are cold blooded killers who hate our country and our freedoms. They want to kill you, me and everyone we love and hold dear because we do not embrace their false god. You can not negotiate or reason with these types of evil men. I wish the situation were different but I believe we either fight these terrorists over there in their home land or we will be fighting them here in our communities like the attacks of September 11.

America has two choices. We can run from the threat or deny it exists. We can debate it and hope it goes away but it won’t. Our second choice is to do what our President has done and send our troops to crush these evil men where they live. We must not grow weary in well doing. The last thing we need is a debate about an exit strategy. Thank God there was no exit strategy after the Battle of the Bulge or Iwo Jima. I am grateful there was no timetable for withdrawal at Valley Forge. Freedom isn’t easy and as we are reminded daily by the media, freedom isn’t free. It comes at a terrible price.

On Veteran’s Day the least we can do is remember. We can at least find some way of saying thank you to a veteran or a Veteran’s family. We can take some time and pray for those who are currently serving. We can pray for our President. And we can thank God for the freedoms we are blessed with in this nation.

There was an even greater battle waged some two thousand years ago over the souls of men. Thank God, God didn’t have an exit strategy plan for His Son Jesus Christ. In stead Jesus paid the last full measure for you and for me. (It is finished was His cry) No exit rather a sacrifice once and for all that would open the way to freedom for all who would repent and believe. When a solider lays down his life and sheds his blood for our freedom he is a reflection of the Savior. The least we can do is pray for our troops and honor the Veteran’s who have served so valiantly through the years. Thank you dad, thank you Roy, thank you Charles, thank you Dick, thank you Ed, thank you . . . , thank you . . . , thank you . . . And Lord, thank you for letting me live in such a country.

No comments:

Post a Comment