Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It's Only 9:15 AM?






Kids keep you busy! They have volumes of energy packed in their little bodies. Add to that their inquisitiveness and maybe that's the reason they need to get started so early in the morning. Recently three of our younger grandchildren spent a few days with us. I was already tired the first day when I glanced at the clock and it was only 9:15 AM. Let me assure you, I am not complaining because I really do love my grandchildren's visits. The energy level I possessed as a young mother is long gone.

Since kids like to earn money I had them busy cleaning windows to earn money for the anticipated trip to the Dollar Store. One of my grandsons purchased a gun and handcuffs. He had lots of fun playing with them and learned it was very difficult opening the refrigerator door while wearing them.

Sometime later this particular grandson decided to set two mugs of iced tea on our lazy susan and spin them very fast. In the words of his sister, "It was spinning around one hundred miles an hour." Next I had the job of hurrying to clean up all those tea spots on our "off white" colored carpet which looked more like a Dalmatian carpet. While down on my hands and knees cleaning the carpet before it stained my grandson asked, "Nanny, can we have a tea party sometime?" Talk about poor timing! You just have to chuckle at their innocent little statements. The same dear, sweet boy enquired to my going swimming. I replied that if I did it wouldn't be in the Lake Vista pool and his response was, "I've seen other old people swim there before." (Very funny! Where are those handcuffs?)

Kids do the funniest things. My husband and I took them to a restaurant for lunch. My little granddaughter asked me what she should order for lunch, the happy face pancake with the whipped cream smile or the chicken strips. Answering from a fifty-five year old perspective I thought the chicken strips would be best. Her younger brother asked the same question of my husband. We all know he is a kid at heart. You should have seen her face when the order came and she had chicken while he had a dream come true! But all is well that ends well. Her brother could only eat about half of his adorable pancake and she hadn't finished her chicken so they just happily switched places. And my husband was out of the dog house :)

Well, I'm planning on some new adventures next week when we have a visit from two more grandchildren for several days. I have a feeling I'll be exhausted by 9:15 AM again but more memorable chapters will be added to our life story... and maybe more material for another article so stay tuned.

"When I was a child, I spake as a child..." I Corinthians 13:11


Written July 27,2005


PB&J

No comments:

Post a Comment