Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Blessing of Brokenness

“My greatest strength is that I have no weakness.” Famous Tennis player

Contrast that with this:
For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: [27] But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; [28] And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: [29] That no flesh should glory in his presence. 1 Cor. 1:26-29



Brokenness is a requirement of discipleship:

• To be broken, one must be humbled to the point of surrendering me and mine, to the sovereign will of God.

• My will, my life, my ambition, my desire, my possessions, are all laid upon the altar as a living sacrifice.

• One usually comes to this only after seeing God in all His glory and self as it is in contrast.

Jesus Christ is the perfect example of brokennesss:

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: [6] Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: [7] But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: [8] And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. [9] Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: [10] That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; [11] And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Philip. 2:5-11

The Bible has many paradoxes that display the need for brokenness

If I want to . . . I must

. . . save my life . . . lose my life –

For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it. [25] For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away? [26] For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels. Luke 9:24-26

. . . be lifted up . . . humble myself before the Lord -

But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
James 4:6-7

. . . be the greatest . . . be a servant_ –

44 And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all. 45 For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many. Mark 10:44-45

. . . be first . . . be last –

But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first. Matthew 19:30

. . . rule . . . serve –

But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve. [27] For whether is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? is not he that sitteth at meat? but I am among you as he that serveth. Luke 22:26-27

. . . live . . . put to death the deeds of the body –

For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. Romans 8:13

. . . be strong . . . be weak –

If I must needs glory, I will glory of the things which concern mine infirmities. 2 Cor. 11:30

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. [10] Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. 2 Cor.12:9-10

. . . inherit the kingdom . . . be poor in spirit -

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:3

. . . reproduce . . . die -

Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. John 12:24


God uses Broken things for His glory

1. Broken pitchers (Judges7:18-19) – and the light shone out!

When I blow with a trumpet, I and all that are with me, then blow ye the trumpets also on every side of all the camp, and say, The sword of the Lord, and of Gideon. [19] So Gideon, and the hundred men that were with him, came unto the outside of the camp in the beginning of the middle watch; and they had but newly set the watch: and they blew the trumpets, and brake the pitchers that were in their hands. Judges 7:18-19


2. A broken box (Mark 14:3) – and the ointment was poured out!

And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on his head. Mark 14:3


3. Broken bread (Matt. 14:19-20) – and the hungry were fed!

And he commanded the multitude to sit down on the grass, and took the five loaves, and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed, and brake, and gave the loaves to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude. [20] And they did all eat, and were filled: and they took up of the fragments that remained twelve baskets full.
Matthew 14:19-20


4. A broken body (1Cor. 11:24) – and the world was made savable!

And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. 1 Cor. 11:24


Are there areas of my life where I need to be broken before the Lord?
Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. John 12:24

No comments:

Post a Comment