Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Value of Values

WHAT ARE YOUR VALUES ? Have you recently given examination to that question? It is easy to say we have "family values" or "biblical values" but do we when it comes to actual practice as we live out our lives? Here are some helps in making an evaluation for yourself.


Your Values In the Area of RELATIONSHIPS

1. How high a value do I place on my relationship to the Lord?
2. How high a value do I place on my relationship with my spouse?
3. How high a value do I place on my relationship with my children?
4. How high a value do I place on my relationship to my local church?
5. How high a value do I place on my relationship to my employment(er)
6. How high a value do I place on my relationship to lost people for the purpose of winning them to Christ?
7. How high a value do I place on my inner circle of friends and helping them and letting them help you become more like Christ through discipleship and "one anothering."



Your Values in the area of the use of Your TIME

1. Does my schedule reflect the value I say I place on each area of my relationships?
2. How much time do I spend on each area in a given day or week?
3. Are there areas I highly value but they are not getting my attention?
4. What would have to change to bring my stated values in line with my use of time?

Values as seen by my BUDGET - USE OF RESOURCES

1. Do my expenditures align with my stated values?
2. Do I know how I spend my resources?
3. Do I have a budget or a spending plan?
4. Do I love money?
5. Am I materialistic?
6. Am I an owner or steward of my resources?


TEN GOOD QUESTIONS IN DEFINING MY VALUES

1. Is the Bible the inspired Word of God and as such the final authority for your life?

2. Is it my purpose in life to seek God with my whole heart and to build my goals around His priorities?

3. Have I dedicated my body as a living sacrifice, with the daily awareness that I am the living temple of God, and as such not defile myself with the lusts of this world?

4. Is my church teaching the foundational truths of the Bible and reinforcing my basic convictions?

5. Do I believe my children and grandchildren belong to God, and it is my responsibility to teach them Scriptural principles, Godly character, and basic convictions?

6. Am I committed to my brothers and sisters in Christ in such a way that my activities would never weaken the scriptural convictions of another Christian?

7. Do I regard my wedding vows as a life-long commitment to God and to my marriage partner?

8. Do I see my money as a trust from God and must be earned and managed according to Scriptural principles?

9. Are my words in harmony with God’s Word, especially when reproving and restoring a Christian brother/sister or do I talk behind their backs instead?

10. Are my affections set on things above, and not on things in the earth?

There is a great value in having the right values. "So let a man examine himself . . ."

PB

1 comment:

  1. Thanks PB! A great reminder-and guideline-to examine ourselves. I needed that!
    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete