Thursday, June 11, 2009

IMPACT PLAYERS

I wrote the following article in March of 1995 as a testimony and a charge to other fathers. I took the thoughts for the article from my spiritual journal of January 1984. Today, more than 14 years later I am still driven to desire to have an impact on this world for the glory of God and the good of others. Recently there have been great books written like “Don’t Waste Your Life,” and “Do The Hard Thing.” These books contain life changing truths that come right out of the heart of God via His all sufficient Word. This article has a similar theme and I hope it will be a blessing, especially to you fathers.

" And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all nations of the earth be blessed; because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws." Gen. 26: 4&5

In January of 1984 the Lord spoke to me through the above verse. God placed a desire inside my heart to live a life that would impact others for generations to come for the glory of God, just like Abraham did. Believe me; I realized I was no Abraham. God, however, was still the same God and He is the focus of this verse. He is still looking for people who would live by faith and as a result impact their world for Christ. As I write this more than eleven years have gone by since God placed the above desire into my heart. God has been faithful and perhaps in some small measure allowed Judy and I to impact our world for him. The following thoughts are taken from my spiritual journal, January 22, 1984.

"I want to be continually reminded of the faithfulness of God. Isaac and his people were being blessed by God, but why? They were being blessed because of Abraham's past obedience. Abraham had yielded everything he had to God and God promised to bless him and all the nations of the earth through him.

I believe I have been blessed in 1983 because of the obedience of believers at Calvary Baptist Church. The same principle applies. Their obedience has brought blessing on me and my family. That's the way of God. One man gets right with God like Abraham did and God will pour out his blessing even unto all nations through that man. God is the same God today for us as he has been for all past generations. As I look forward to 1984 what does this mean to me?

If I will get serious about yielding every area of my life to God it will have the effect of blessing others. If I will lay my all on the altar just consider what God might do. If I would allow God's grace to truly revive me maybe it would start a new revival at Calvary Baptist Church. If our church were revived they would reach out and bless the city of Midland. If Midland were revived this would impact our whole state. If Michigan were revived maybe revival would sweep across our nation. If America were to experience revival then once again we could lead the charge to evangelize the world.

It all sounds impossible but God makes the impossible possible. It all starts right here in this room today with me. Now is the time for me to yield all that I am and all that I have to thee. God, I do just that and ask you to use this clay pot for your glory and the good of others.

Today is March 8, 1995. The years have flown by. I have much less hair now and my wrinkles are more pronounced. My children are all grown and married. Grandchildren have graced my life. The thirties gave way to the forties and the fifties lay straight ahead. Growing older has changed many things but the fire and conviction God put into my heart that cold January morning still burns hot. The degree of impact God has allowed me to have for him can only be honestly measured by Him and all that really matters is that my life counted for His glory. By God's grace, I'm still pressing on with an eye to reaching the world with the gospel.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS:
1. Are you having an impact on your world for the glory of God and the good of others?
2. Do you want God to bless others through your life?
3. By the grace of God what do you hope to accomplish by 2005?
4. Is there anything keeping you from being an impact player for God's team?
5. Are you ready to repent and return to walking in truth?

PB

1 comment:

  1. This is very interesting, moving material. And I plan to ask myself those 5 questions. From Scottie.

    ReplyDelete