Saturday, April 18, 2009

Last Lap Longings






The count down is over; I’m now officially a “senior citizen-saint” at age 60. How did I get here so fast? And if the first sixty went like a vapor (Ja. 5:14) how quickly will the remaining few speed by?

As I head into this last lap, or that final 4th quarter, as some have called it want to keep my eyes on Christ and finish well. When I get to the finish line I want to be able to look back without regret and say, “ I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:” (2 Tim. 4:7) By the grace of God I desire to be “fruitful” ‘till I am called home, don’t you?

What is fruitfulness? The word fruit or a variation of it is used some fifty-five times in the New Testament. We can’t bear fruit if we are not first born again of the Spirit of God. Fruit is produced in a believer’s life as a result of being controlled by God’s Spirit.

Here are ten insights from God’s word about being fruitfulness that are guiding my quest as I run this last lap. They have helped get to this point and will carry me to the finish line.

1.We are called by Christ to bear fruit. It’s not an option. (Jn. 15:16)
2.Being fruitful is the way we glorify God. (Jn. 15:8)
3.Being fruitful pleases God. It involves a “faith that works.” (Col. 1:10)
4.Jesus reserved sever judgment for the unfruitful tree. This matter of fruitfulness is serious business to Jesus! (Matt. 21:19)
5.The nation of Israel lost its privilege because of unfruitfulness. (Matt. 21:43) Is it possible that could happen to America or could that happen to me?
6.Demonstrating true repentance when we sin is part of a fruitful life. We all sin but does our sin cause us shame, remorse, and works that show our brokenness? (Matt. 3:8; Lk. 13:5-9)
7.Practicing the truth or our “talk equaling our walk” is part of being fruitful. (Matt. 7:16-21)
8.Seeing specific answer to prayer is bearing fruit. (Jn. 15:7-8)
9.Willingly sacrificing to meet the needs of others. (Rom. 15:28; Phil. 4:17)
10.Plowing the ground, sowing the gospel seed, seeing a harvest - soul winning (Rom. 1:13)

Wow! Here I am at 60 and when I hold my life up to the mirror of God’s Word it is clear that the last lap will be a “hard run” to the finish line. Only by HIS grace and ALL for His glory – that is my heart's cry. Where are you on your run? (1 Cor. 9:25-27)

PB

1 comment: