Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Power of Choice

"Choose you this day whom ye will serve:.... But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Have you ever considered the power hidden inside your choices? Do you realize God has given us the power to choose? These choices come daily. Often they are disguised as little unimportant choices, but the power released after making them is often life altering.

When I review my life I see the power for good or evil in my choices. I suppose we all have made choices we later regretted. It seems that how I handle daily little choices prepare me for how I handle the more difficult choices that life presents.

Choosing to spend time this morning in the Word and prayer vs. choosing a little extra sleep. (Pr. 6: 9-11, Pr. 20:13)

Choosing to live debt free vs. being a debtor to my desires. (Prov. 22:4; Romans 13:8)

Choosing to give monies to Gods work vs. choosing to spend it on myself. (Col. 3:1&2, Mk. 12:42-44)

Choosing to set aside a specific time each week to share the gospel vs. choosing to fill my schedule with other less important commitments. (II Cor. 5: 10&11)

Much of God's Word records the power in the choices of men who have gone before us. Consider the eventual consequences of each of these choices:

· Moses chose rather to suffer affliction (Heb. 11:25)
· David chose not to go forth to battle (II Sam. 11: 1-4)
· Daniel chose to pray as before times (Daniel 6: 10&11)
· Jonah chose to flee God's calling (Jonah 1:3)
· Joshua chose to serve and lead (Joshua 24:15)
· Samson chose to tell Delilah (Judges 16: 16-20)

None of us can turn the clock back and undo past wrong choices. Thank God for His mercy or we would all be consumed by those choices. We do, however, have the power to choose today in such a way that there need be no future regrets.

Why not stop for a moment and consider:

What will my choices be today?
Why am I making this choice?
Is this choice align with Scripture?
Is this what Jesus would choose?
Will I be content with the results of this choice?
Do I realize not making a decision is a choice?

Lord, Help me to live out this day mindful of your will and your ways. Give me the vision to see by faith the results of choosing to believe and obey your Word even in the most difficult of situations. Help me Lord to make the right choices in all my decisions today.
In Jesus Name
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment