Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Changed Mind and Redeeming the Time

Many years ago I remember being caught up in the American dream of early retirement. I dreamed of 2004 when I would turn 55 and have 36 years of service with the company retirement plan. My children would be raised and my life responsibilities would be over and I would be well set for “easy street” and years of pleasure. I am so grateful for the gospel and the regenerating power contained therein.

God stepped into my life in 1976 bringing salvation. Along with His salvation came a new nature and a changed mind. That new nature has produced new desires. The new desires are almost opposite of the old dreams. When the grace of God changes a person he is changed forever! Praise His holy name!

Well, 2004 came and went and I’m not closing in on retirement. Just two more months and I turn 60. Rather than sitting on my back porch watching birds fly by and living a life of leisure I’m working harder than ever to make the most of these “senior years” and rejoicing in God’s goodness for opportunity, health and strength to stay the course He has marked out for me.

God has changed my mind about what really matters and as a result I’m not thinking about slowing down, I’m thinking about speeding up. I’m not thinking about how I can do less, I’m thinking about how I can be more productive. I’m not thinking about how I can rest, I’m thinking about responsibility, associated goals and a schedule which is the out flow of a commitment to the prize set before me.

When I come to the end I don’t want to have wasted my life on vanity. I don’t want to have spent my life on “second best” pursuits. That is one reason why I am teaching the current series in the Abundant Life Sunday school class. This Sunday we will look at Ephesians 5:15-17 and see three (3) steps for Redeeming time in 2009. Class begins at 9:15 – please come and join us for this study.

PB & J

No comments:

Post a Comment