Friday, January 30, 2009

PROCRASTINATION (Don’t read this blog now. You can do it later)

The dreaded affliction hits everyone at one time or another. Whether it’s the pile of papers on the corner of the desk that has been looming larger for months, the closet that is so crowded you no longer dare open it, or the completing of your income taxes before the April 15th deadline, the effect is usually the same. That feeling of heaviness whenever you think about it coupled with that gnawing in the pit of your stomach grows worse with each passing day because you know the task must be done sooner or later. Here are some of my favorite quotes on procrastination:

· “A procrastinator puts off until tomorrow the things he already put off until today.”
· “By ignoring a task every day, I can gradually let the task completely overwhelm me.”
· “The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.”
· “I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”
· “If it weren’t for the last minute, nothing would get done.”

These quotes make me laugh at myself because I can so easily see me in them, how about you? However, at times procrastination is no laughing matter. Here are two more serious quotes on this topic by American leaders of old.

· “You cannot escape the responsibilities of tomorrow by evading it today.” Abraham Lincoln
· “You may delay, but time won’t.” Benjamin Franklin

Procrastination can be a serious problem in a person’s life. There are many reasons why people procrastinate. Here are a few of the usual reasons.

1. They don’t like the task.
2. The task is absolutely overwhelming.
3. They don’t know how to handle the task.
4. They don’t know where to start at the task.
5. There is no immediate payoff, so there is no motivation.
6. They are perfectionists. (Pride)
7. They are fearful
8. They are laziness

In this blog I am not going to ever get around to telling you how to solve the above stated obstacles keeping you from that task. I intended to but it was just too overwhelming for me to write out and I couldn’t decide how to start. Besides, it’s not a topic I like writing about and most people don’t read my blog anyhow! J

I do want to encourage you not to procrastinate on the following. Don’t let Satan steal these opportunities and find yourself living in regret. Tell your spouse and your children that you love them. Stop and take the time to hug and give them a little special attention today. Call or go see your parents today. Thank them for their investment in your life and tell them how much you love them. Take a minute and call a friend today (you’ll probably get their voice mail) and tell them how much their friendship means to you. Sometime this week praise someone who has invested in your child’s life.

What am I trying to say? We don’t know if we will have tomorrow to show our love and gratitude to those we love. We must be careful in our “busyness” not to procrastinate doing the most important things. Maintaining our relationships cannot be allowed to take a back seat to “activity.” Don’t wait for someday to express your love and appreciation to those God has placed around you. Make it a regular part of your every day life. Most of all, let us not procrastinate in communicating daily our love and gratefulness to our great God and Savior.

There, that was easy, now that you have that done stop procrastinating and go do those taxes!

PB & J

PS: If you are interested in learning more about the busyness of life and how that can hide our procrastination then join us at TBC in the Abundant Life Class this Sunday morning.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    well I just read the article now, not putting off for later!! Thank you for your words which are always a blessing. Sorry but we are a just a bit far to join your SS class.
    Joel Johnson
    Missionary in Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the article. I do need to work on this subject. I always enjoy reading your thoughs and studies.
    Missionary Joel Johnson
    from Brazil

    ReplyDelete