Saturday, January 24, 2009

Disappointments His Appointments

When I look back over my life I find an odd but reoccurring theme. I see that through out my journey I have had my hopes and dreams dashed against the rocks of life's circumstances many times. And yet in the rear view mirror looking back upon my life I realize it was all the mercy and grace of God that those hurts happened. Those disappointment were His appointments to something He had for me far better than the disapointment that I knew nothing about. The trauma of grieving emotions has included through the years but is not limited to; not making the varsity basket ball team in high school, an early relationship that didn't materialize like I though it would, A job promotion that I had earned but passed me by, and in more recent years a difficult ministry situation that just didn't workout like I had dreamed that it would. And the results of all these hurts? God protected me and blessed me by giving me what I needed rather than what I wanted. Instead of playing basket ball I really learned to "work" and and how to make myself a value in the "market place" which was a foundation for the rest of my adult life. The Lord sent me Judy, a beautiful (inwardly and outwardly) wife who has been my best friend now for over 40 years. The lost job motivated me to a "career change" that would lead me to a wonderful church family, personally being discipled and be the foundation for my "call" and eventual full time ministry. And here I am nearing the big 60 thanking the Lord everyday for what He has given to our church in our Pastor and his family plus the amazing role He has given me in building His church for this "senior season" in my life. I see so clearly it is right and best for me, my family and His church. Like Elijah in 1 Kings 19:4 - I am very glad God said no to many of my prayers!


I am overwhelmed with His goodness in loving me enough to let me experience disappointment and see how each was simply an open door to His appointments, when I received the grace in the hurt, and turning in trust to Him rather than burned in bitterness against Him. (Heb.12:15)




Have you experienced any disappointments? I know you have! We all do. Have you seen them from God's vantage point? I can testify that His Promises are true when he said; "No good thing will He withhold from them that walk uprightly;" (Ps. 84:11b) and; "All things work together for good to those who love God, and to those who are the called according to His purpose." (Rom.8:28)




I am not spiritual enough to "look forward" to my next disappointment but I am committed to trust Him in it and look for His appointment! I hope you will too!




Pastor B

1 comment:

  1. "Delight thy self in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."- Psamls 37: 4 I am always amazed at how God changes your desires and later shows you that what you thought you wanted was really not what you wanted at all.

    ReplyDelete